Today, I had lots of plans to be productive, including a run, homework, cleaning and other things.
I got up at 6:30 when my alarm went off. The plan was to go running before the storm rolled in, but I was tired and decided to go back to sleep. When I finally got up again at 9:30, I was hungry and not motivated, and the storm was ‘a brewing.
I had a lazy morning involving peanut butter toast and coffee, plus a little Food Network-watching. Then Hillary suggested lunch, so I took a quick shower and met her downstairs at noon. By this time the rain was in full-force.
I had a smallish lunch of chicken and dumpling soup and some not-so-ripe grapes. Then, the plan was to walk to the library for some serious studying. That plan was tossed out the window when I realized I forgot my headphones. Who can go to the library without headphones? Certainly not me. So back to the hall I went.
I got a little work done and then got a bit distracted, and as soon as I knew it half the day was gone.
It was time for my favorite weekend activity: grocery shopping! I LOVE the grocery store. It’s one of my favorite places to be. Today, I had a pretty good haul:
I go grocery shopping almost every weekend, and my cart usually fits into three categories: things I always buy, things I sometimes buy, and impulse buys.
Things I always buy:
- Bananas (I like the shorter ones because I would only use half of a regular-sized banana in my oatmeal)
- Plain yogurt (An easy breakfast choice to pair with toast. I go through one of these containers in a week.)
Things I sometimes buy:
- Pita chips
- Cereal (Today I bought generic Cinnamon Life. Yum!)
- Tea! (Currently OBSESSED with Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride. Went through the whole first box in two weeks and had to stock up.)
- Tuna+Tuna salad ingredients (Miracle Whip and relish)
- Cinnamon sugar pita chips (Hyvee makes these and they are AMAZING but not always in stock)
- Butter toffee almonds (These are delicious and taste just like a pecan pralines!)
Grocery shopping was exciting, and made me pretty hungry. So I pulled out my tuna and made a tuna salad sandwich!
At home, I make tuna salad completely differently, with fresh herbs and lemon. Hope to share that recipe with you soon!
Basic Tuna Salad
Tuna salad is the perfect dorm room meal, and even though I ate tuna regularly at home, this is the first I’ve ever had it at school. It’s packed full of protein, not very messy, cheap, AND shelf-stable in single servings. Perfect!
- 1 package of tuna in water
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp. mayonaise or Miracle Whip
- 1 tbsp. pickle relish
- Two slices of toasted bread
Put the bread in the toaster on your desired setting. Mix the tuna, mayonaise and relish together in a bowl with a fork while the bread toasts. When the bread is done, spread the tuna mixture and make a sandwich. Couldn’t be easier!
My snack was my tuna sandwich and some of those new almonds. May have to grab some more here soon…
After my snack, I goofed around a bit, watched SNL from last night and then it was time for dinner! I had dinner with Allen who just got back from a weekend in St. Louis. We went to a dining hall where I had veggie nuggets (soy chicken nuggets), mac and cheese, a heaping pile of green beans and some coleslaw. For dessert I had a bit of ice cream with sprinkles! Perfect!
Tonight is TV night: Once Upon a Time AND Next Iron Chef! Happy Sunday!